Friday 19 July 2013

Day 7 - the day we saw Taylor Swift

19th July 2013

Philadelphia day 2 and probably the hottest day so far. I can't believe it has been a week already! Anyway, the day started with breakfast at the hotel and then we headed to the Independence Visitor Centre to get tickets for tours later in the day. Another day another several gift shops (we love it!). 

We went to see the Liberty Bell which involves us queuing  with no shade for half an hour if not more. Sweat was dripping, it was horrible and only 10am! We learnt lots inside the Liberty Bell Centre. Lauren even learnt that Martin Luther Kjng was the same person as Martin Luther King Jr and that Nelson Mandela did not work to abolish slavery in America. 
Next was a tour of Independence Hall. We felt incredibly awkward listening to all the anti-British nature of the history of the building. I found the visit rather overwhelming and it was incredible to learn about. I'm sure if I was American I'd have been in tears because the area holds so much significance. 
This is where the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was signed.
We went for lunch at the Red Owl Tavern and YUM. I had a BLT which had pancetta and Brie on it. I'm sure there was a potential heart attack in there too somewhere. Loz had a spicy chicken sandwich (spot a pattern?)
We went back to the room to get ready for the most exciting event of my life to date, although we realised there was no point putting in too much effort as we're only gonna sweat our bums off on the way. This is how excited I was. 
We took the subway, walking past beautiful City Hall on the way.
The show was at Lincoln Financial Field, home of the Philadelphia Eagles. it was huge!!! We were the second row from the top and the view of the whole stadium was incredible. 
Ed Sheeran was up first, and we did him proud dancing and singing along to every song. I have to say, despite not expecting to like his set, he was incredible. He managed to fill an entire 50,000 person arena with just himself on stage, a guitar and a loop pedal. He was amazing. Honestly. I am now definitely a fan. We had a cheeky hot dog in preparation for Tay Tay.
And then she arrived. She was amazing. I love her lack of dance and movement ability. Lauren and I made up for it and danced for the whole thing. I'm so glad that Lauren's now a fan. The staging and scenery was amazing - scenes of Paris, carousels and choreography and costumes - with the most amazing ballet and circus sections. I was absolutely inspired. Taylor I love you!!! Lauren wants to get tickets to see her in LA when we're there, soooo up for that!!!
Back home on the subway and again we passed City Hall. So beautiful. 
And now we're tucked up in bed blogging feeling shattered but very lucky. New York tomorrow should be amazing. I can't believe how quickly it's going. Lots of love xxxxx









No comments:

Post a Comment